Lest you think that smoothies are all I eat, here is a fresh salad recipe that I enjoyed recently. My mother-in-law and husband also gave their approval (however, they weren’t fans of the endive – preferring instead to eat the mixture in regular ol’ romaine lettuce leaves).
Waldorf Style Endive Boats (vegan, all raw)
- 3/4 to 1 cup sunflower seeds
- Shredded carrot (2-3 medium sized carrots)
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- Green onion, finely diced (personal preference on amount)
- 2 green apples, diced
- Handful of red grapes, halved
- Chopped walnuts
- Handful of arugula (1-2)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon
- Lettuce leaves of choice (endive, romaine, butter, collard greens etc…)
Place sunflower seeds in a food processor and run until a fine powder forms. Mix all additional ingredients with the sunflower seed powder. Really get in there with your hands and work the ingredients together, it will create a thick mixture. Serve the mix in endive leaves or lettuce leaves of choice; the romaine worked well. I also think this would be a good stuffing for pita pockets (although it would no longer be an entirely raw meal).
This salad was extremely filling; it would be a perfect weekday lunch. My next lettuce wrap experiment is going to be a Southern-style BBQ lettuce wrap – hope to have that up soon!