Inspired by my favorite lunch at Chipotle.
Burrito Bowl (serves 2-3)
- Cooked brown rice
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 onion, sliced thin
- 1.5 cups black beans (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)***
- 1/2 cup corn
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, chili seasoning, cumin, paprika, dried oregano, lime juice
- Homemade salsa (mango salsa would also be good!)
- Quick guacamole (1 avocado, salt, garlic powder, lemon juice)
- Cook rice according to package directions, keep warm
- Heat a skillet, drizzle in EVOO. Saute bell pepper and onion until soft (around 10 minutes)
- Add in beans, corn, and seasonings. Stir a couple more minutes, until all hot.
- Mush avocado together with garlic powder, salt, and a squirt of lemon juice.
- To serve: plate desired amount of brown rice. Top with veggie and bean mixture. Finally, top with salsa and a glob of avocado.
I was very, very, very pleased with this meal! It definitely sparked my interest in trying out more grain and bean dishes with a variety of flavor combinations. Look for more to come in the near future!
** I always keep cooked, frozen black beans on hand. I will buy a big bag of dried beans and make the whole thing so I am always stocked up. I first soak the beans overnight (just out on the counter). Then I rinse them and put them in a crock pot with enough water to cover them and then some. I cook the beans on low for about 8 hours and then add my seasonings (usually salt, garlic powder, cumin) and cook for an additional 2-4 hours. Let the beans cool completely before you bag them and freeze them or else they will become one big, frozen bean ball! Anytime I need a handful of beans for a salad, burrito, or nachos I can just grab what I need from the freezer and defrost! Easy as that.