Goals for the race:
1. Have fun!!!
3. Get a better finish line pic than this:
But, if I had to set up a very loose set of plans for the race I would say:
- Run the first 8 miles w/o walking breaks – I have done this before so I can do it again.
- Use miles 8-12 for walking breaks – If I need to, I will use the Galloway method during this 4 mile stretch. That means run at least 3 minutes at a time and walk for no more than 30 seconds at a time. I am using a Camelbak so I won’t have to stop at the aid stations. I am also bringing energy bites in my Spibelt so here’s to hoping I can manage to run and eat them at the same time!!!
- Increase speed a little for mile 12 to 12.5
- Increase speed a lot for 12.5 to 13 – this is on a decline so it will be easy to go fast, right??
- Haul ass for 13 to 13.1!! No reason not to sprint my ass off for 20 seconds!
Because this is my first long race, I am focusing more on just finishing than anything. These are more hopeful guidelines than strict goals. I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment if I set unrealistic goals and then do not meet them. I have never actually run 13.1 miles before, so who knows what will happen!! I know that I can finish, so that is what I will do. Anything else from there will be icing on the cake. No matter what happens, this will be a PR for me!