I did a lot of cooking this weekend, I think I ended up creating 5 new recipes! All of them were a success too, which is rare. I made this dish on Saturday after an 11 mile run and it was the perfect mix of complex carbohydrates, protein, and flavor. It really hit the spot, which is usually hard to do on long run days! This dish is basically another variation of my stuffed squash but equally as delicious. It’s also the perfect fall combination of flavors and textures.
Squash, Quinoa, and Black Bean Salad (serves 2-3 hungry people)
- Acorn squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 large onion, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup black beans (if canned, drain and rinse)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts (toasting is optional, but so worth it!)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins (I used both)
- Handful of spinach, torn small
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Drizzle squash cubes and onion with olive oil and roast for 45min
- While squash is roasting, cook quinoa according to package directions.
- In a bowl, combine hot, cooked quinoa, beans, walnuts, cranberries, and spinach.
- Once squash is done, stir gently with other ingredients. Serve immediately.