As I mentioned yesterday, I wasn’t feeling to great at the end of last week. One of the things I did to get myself back on track was to eat and drink lots of greens. I woke up Saturday morning absolutely craving a giant kale salad. Problem was, I didn’t have any kale at the house and it was snowing hard outside. Sometimes you just gotta go for it though, so I drove to the store to pick up some greens and veggies.
I made it home alive and got started creating a deliciously vibrant salad. The point of the salad was to include a giant base of kale as well as a wide variety of vegetables. To get the most nourishment out of the salad, I tried to include as much color as possible as well. The veggie combination is really up to you; use whatever veggies you like the most just try to get a good variety.
Nourishing Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale
- Veggies of choice
- Tempeh (or protein of choice)
- Dressing ingredients: juice of 1 lemon, 2 tsp olive oil, 2tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tsp dulse flakes (or pinch of sea salt), ground pepper, garlic powder
- Remove kale leaves from stem. Tear into bite size pieces. Wash and pat dry.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together. Pour over kale and massage into the leaves for a few minutes. You will notice the kale starts to soak up the dressing and soften. Set the kale aside to marinate in the dressing. This dressing is very tart, if you need some sweetness I would suggest adding a touch of stevia or honey.
- While kale is marinating, chop desired veggies and fruits.
- Cook tempeh according to package directions (I sauteed it with EVOO and garlic until golden brown)
- Mix kale with veggies and any other additional toppings. Enjoy it’s energizing goodness!!
I topped my salad with tomatoes, red pepper, red onion, carrot, cucumber green onion, mango, pomegranate, pepitas, sprouts, and tempeh. Lots of chopping, but very worth it!