I made this recipe a week and a half ago and am just now getting around to posting it!! Trust me, it’s not because it isn’t amazing…it is so good. It’s just part laziness and part me being bad at recipes (like the quinoa from last week). But alas, better late than never. I was just lounging around with the kittens when this recipe idea struck. And because I know you’re dying to see just what a “lounging” kitten looks like….
Let’s all just go ahead and admit that the only reason I keep up a blog is to show off pictures of my kitties. At least the truth is out in the open now. Anyway, I was just lying around when all of a sudden this recipe popped into my head. Luckily I had almost everything on hand and even more luckily, my husband was at the store so I texted him a quick “bell pepper, rotel” and had everything I needed. What’s really unfair is that I am posting this on Day 3 of a Detox Diet and I am salivating just staring at the picture. Only 4.5 more days to go!
Vegan Mexican Mac-N-Cheeze
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 – 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup water
- Scoop vegan butter (optional)
- 1 can rotel (not drained)
- 1-2 cups black beans
- Seasonings: garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, s&p
- Heat a pot on the stove with a drop of olive oil. Add in bell pepper and onion and saute until golden brown and soft (about 7 to 10 minutes).
- Next, add in flour, yeast, and water. Stir into vegetable mixture until a sauce consistency forms.
- Stir in butter (optional, but it gives it a nice finish), rotel, and beans. Add in desired amounts of seasonings. I used a seasoning mix that I use for all of my Mexican dishes…the amounts are up to your particular tastes but paprika is very necessary to create a smoky/cheesy flavor.
- Heat through and serve over noodles. I used gluten-free “call us mushy and we’ll sue you for defamation of character” shells…not because I eat gluten-free (there is wheat in the sauce) but because it was all I had!
This sauce would also make a fabulous vegan “cheeze” dip for a party…just make sure you have sturdy chips because it’s thick and chunky!