I am really, really looking forward to this weekend. I’ve been getting pumped up all week. I can hardly wait for 5 o’clock. Am I going on another vacation? No. A fun concert in the city? Nope again. Date night? Not happening.
So why am I so excited for this weekend?? We are seriously, for real, no ifs/ands/buts about it CLEANING HOUSE. I know I said I was doing this a couple of weeks ago – and I did – but this weekend we are doing it on a much, much grander scale. I’m talking…everything must go. On the surface, my husband and I abide by the “simple is best” attitude. We don’t have a lot of knick-knacks strewn about. We are minimalist decorators (the less you have sitting around, the less you have to dust!). We just don’t like to be bombarded with things. However, it’s our dirty little secret that if you look in our closets and storage space area, junk is taking over our lives. I’m sure not all of it is junk…but if we honestly haven’t looked at or used something in 2 years…will we ever need it? Doubtful. So this weekend we are taking a no holds barred approach to de-cluttering and we are going to significantly reduce the amount of possessions we own. And I’m excited as all get out.
I am so excited that I’ve been quietly preparing. No item is safe. Every time I go into a cabinet, closet, or drawer I can’t help but think to myself “can’t wait to get rid of this” bwah hahaha. It feels liberating.
Definitely getting kicked to the curb:
- Appliances: George Forman grill – haven’t used it since I don’t know when. We have a nice grill and skillets, what more could we need. Quesadilla maker – yes it makes a damn good quesadilla, but once again I could do the same thing in a skillet.
- Tons of unused kitchen tools – meat tendorizer, all kinds of junk items, old wooden spoons etcetera.
- Old blankets that take up tons of space – don’t need ’em, haven’t needed ’em in a while. Hello Goodwill!
- Clothes that don’t fit. And summer clothes are going into a pretty storage container out-of-the-way.
- Bags – I’m a “bag hag” with both purses and overnight bags. Time to get rid of purses or bags I haven’t used in years. Another great donation to goodwill
- Tons of old picture frames. Lots are either broken or kind of “juvenile” I want to throw out all the frames and do a better job of organizing my photos.
Stuff I’m not so sure about:
- Tons of Disney VHS tapes – sure I don’t even own a VHS player, but this is a tough call. I don’t want to get rid of my collection!
- Wedding dress – this thing is dirty and torn up (hello outside wedding). What will I ever need it for? Yet, I hate to part ways with it.
- DVDs we don’t ever watch – we have TONS of movies that we have bought used or in the $5 bins at Wally World. And I don’t remember the last time we actually watched a single one. We could at least use to clear out a few that aren’t big hits. Make room for more!!
- Why Do People Use Food For Comfort – a video on Yahoo! Shine
- 8 Reasons to Lift Heavier Weights by Shape Magazine
- Glacier National Park – we want to backpack here so bad next summer!
- Clutter Clutter Everywhere – my first actual blog post!! It is very relatable to today’s post and looking back, I’m quite proud and think it was a pretty good first try!