This may be the best thing I have ever created. Seriously. This pasta salad is delicious, bursting with flavors and textures, and so healthy for you. Not to mention it is a perfect springtime treat. Pasta salads are my favorite dish for picnics because they hold up so well and this one is no different (my husband will be so thrilled to know there are many picnics in our near future). What is different is that this particular salad is more veggies than pasta…load up on the good stuff!
Veggie Pasta Salad – (4-6 servings)
- Cooked brown rice pasta, 8oz dry (or pasta of choice, but the texture of this kind is perfect for a cold noodle salad)
- 3-4 cups of fresh spinach, shredded
- 1/2 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Thinly sliced white onion, to preference (I used at least 1/4)
- 1/2 bunch of asparagus, cut
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted*
- 2 minced cloves of garlic, sautéed*
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and run under cool water to chill
- Prep all veggies and throw them in a large bowl together
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add in a bit of EVOO and toast the garlic and walnuts together.
- Combine veggies, cooled pasta, and garlic & walnuts in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the salad with a bit of EVOO (2-3 tbsp), some salt & pepper, dried basil, and nutritional yeast (optional). Stir to combine and serve at room temp.
As with any recipe I post, feel free to alter it to your specific preferences. What veggies do you love? Load up on them…consider cucumber, bell pepper, broccoli, zucchini, or summer squash. The sky is the limit.
**The walnuts and garlic can be used raw, but if you have the time to toast them up it will add wonderful flavor…I highly recommend it