Sometimes my favorite vegan recipes come without any actual planning….I just think about what’s in the fridge, what I am hungry for, and what I can make quickly. This is one of those times. I had some beans that needed to be used and a hot sandwich sounded mighty fine…voila, a quick and easy spread for a vegan sandwich that would be great served hot or cold.
Quick and Easy Vegan Spread
- 1/4 cup white beans
- Splash of veggie broth
- Dash of favorite seasonings. I used salt & pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and dried herbs (I imagine you could add dill and relish to replicate a hot tuna melt flavor)
- Sandwich fixins of choice
- Pre-heat oven to broil
- Mash beans together with broth and seasonings until well combined
- Top a slice of bread (I used sprouted grain) with cheese of choice (I used a vegan pepper jack slice but dairy cheese or no cheese at all would be great).
- Spread the bean mash over the cheese. Place in the oven to broil for a couple of minutes (until cheese is melted and spread is warm)
- Assemble sandwich as desired. I spread the other slice of bread with 1/4 mashed avocado, spinach, tomato, red onion, and jalapeno slices.
- Enjoy! I served this with a golden delicious apple which was a perfect compliment to the spiciness of the “cheese” and jalapenos.
You could always eat this open-face style as well, just pile all of your veggies on top of the beans. I have a feeling that hot or cold, this sandwich will be a new staple in my diet.