One of my absolute favorite vegan meals is my Chili Stuffed Sweet Potato. I had been enjoying it long before I shared it with you on the blog. It was one of the first vegan meals I created myself and is a staple in my diet. I love the combination of textures, flavors, and temperatures (hot potato+cold jalapenos and guac).
Another staple I enjoy is BBQ flavors (bean burgers, tofu) with sweet potato rounds on the side. The other night I was contemplating dinner and I had a light-bulb moment and decided to combine these flavors in the style of one of my favorite meals. Behold…BBQ Bean Stuffed Sweet Potato was born! Throughout eating this dinner I just could not believe how perfect the flavors were together. It is a new favorite for sure.
I went from A to B in record time
BBQ Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (makes 2 servings)
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup frozen (or thawed) corn
- Handful of grape tomatoes, sliced in half (or 1 regular tomato, diced)
- Generous 1/2 cup pinto beans
- BBQ sauce of choice (I used spicy!)
- Smashed avocado, jalapenos, and sliced green onion for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400. Bake sweet potatoes for an hour or until fully cooked.
- Heat a pot to medium. Add a drizzle of EVOO and sauté the bell pepper and onion until browned.
- Add in corn, tomatoes, and beans heating through until vegetables are soft. Stir in desired amount of BBQ sauce (I liked the mixture quite saucy).
- Smash mixture together either with a potato masher or a fork.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and top with BBQ mix. Serve with a dollop of avocado, jalapenos, and green onion if desired
What healthy meals are staples in your diet?