Remember when you were younger and summers were glorious? Remember how carefree your life felt the moment you ran out of school at that last bell?
And then remember when you had to go back to school in the fall (or early August now…crazy school systems)? Remember when you’d go back to math class and realize that you basically forgot everything you had learned the year before??
Yeah….that’s pretty much how I feel about heading back to work. I mean I am excited to have found employment with a company that has such a great reputation. I’m thrilled that I will get to spend my days talking with real people and not just cats….
He’s a great listener though
But somehow, in being out of an office for 4 months (I have been working but it’s all been from home) I feel like I have forgotten how to manage work and life. I have forgotten how I planned meals to have healthy lunches and snacks for the week. I have forgotten how I was able to come home after work and make delicious and nutritious dinner. And I have really forgotten how in the hell I managed to wake up at 5:30am for a 90 minute workout in the park. These days it’s a struggle to get out of bed before 7:00!!
Looks like I’m gonna have to relearn all these things…and quickly!! It’s funny that I was just talking about how I can’t fit in all of the activities I want and now I have to figure out how to manage them while still working 8-5!! No more sleeping in. No more mid-day gym sessions. No more random walks to the river. No more hiking on Fridays. Sigh….I will miss all of that so much.
I know it will just take time and trying things out. After work on Friday I hit up the gym for a 90 minute upper body and sprints session. Today, I knew I had plans for right after work so I woke up early (5:45) for an at home WOD from Carrots-N-Cake. My gym opens at 6 and I have to be at work at 8 so I just don’t see myself workout out at the gym in the mornings…I’ll save it for the evening.
For the food….I’ve been thinking about that quite a bit (of course) and wanted to share some ideas with you because I’m sure most of you are trying to fit it all in as well.
You must eat breakfast – Just do it!! (check out the breakfast recipes page for some ideas)
- Overnight Oats are the fastest…you just need 5 minutes the night before and you literally have a healthy grab-n-go meal
- Smoothies are also quick; if you need to save time just throw everything in the blender the night before and store it in the fridge
- Bake healthy muffins or breads ahead of time and enjoy with fresh fruit
Old Favorites for Lunches
Bean/Grain/Veggie dishes are easy to make in bulk and lots of times the flavor gets even better over a few days. Just pre-portion out in containers and serve with some fresh raw veggies or fruit. (Fail proof formula: favorite grain, favorite bean, favorite raw or roasted veggies, light dressing/sauce (like oil+vinegar with salt)
From the blog
From Other Blogs
- Mexican Oatmeal from Oh She Glows (a fav and so easy!)
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Salad from Oh She Glows
- Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl from Oh She Glows
- Mexican Quinoa Salad from Fannetastic Food
Salads are great as well. Kale salads can be made and dressed ahead of time and last quite a while. If you are using a more delicate green I would suggest keeping the dressing separate until right before you serve it.
From the blog
- How to Make a Kale Salad (Vlog)
- Bye Bye Cravings Chickpea Salad
- Kale Salad with Avocado Dressing
- Inspired Thai Veggie Salad (yum!)
- Make Ahead Salad Shakers
Any salads are great: what veggies do you love?? The key is to keep mixing it up with dressing…homemade is the best.
Random Lunch Ideas
- Leftovers of course, nothing easier than that!!
- Veggies, hummus, pita
Convenient Lunch Ideas
- Amy’s burritos with green chili sauce
- Boxed or canned soup with crackers and fresh fruit
- Subway veggie sandwich
Snacks are a vital part of my workday. Though you should be aware of calroie density – after all you really don’t need to fuel your body when you are sitting at a desk for 8 hours – well timed snacks can do wonders for productivity and energy, and mood.
- Fruit and nuts
- Veggies and Hummus
- Green Juice
- Kale Chips
- Rice cakes with nut butter and fresh fruit
- Powerballs (Like Cacao or Chocolate-Covered Cherry)
- And of course dark chocolate!!
On that note, I decided to make a delicious quinoa bowl for the first few days of this week. Same general recipe as above but I added in some raw asparagus and broccoli as well. I was trying not to eat it all as I was making it!!
What are your favorite easy make ahead meals to bring to work or school during the week?
Any tips for getting it in gear?