Can I just say…what a mouthful that post title is!! But it’s the best way to describe this bowl of deliciousness I am about to lay on you.
First thing’s first though…today I rode in a hot air balloon!! It was one of the coolest experiences ever and I still can’t believe I actually did it. I have so many photographs to go through but I thought I’d share a quick video with you in the meantime.
The video doesn’t even do it justice…just amazing.
Now…onto these overnight oats. They are inspired by my two favorite vegan breads: a Blueberry Breakfast Cake from Happy Herbivore and a Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze from Oh She Glows. Zesty-ness from the ginger and lemon combined with blueberries and a sweet cream made for a wildly flavorful breakfast treat.
I knew as soon as I posted a picture on instagram that I had a winner! Well, technically I knew the moment I ate them but I was excited about the positive feedback nonetheless. Completely vegan and completely tasty.
Zesty Blueberry Oats with Sweet Lemon Cream
(serves 1 with cream leftover)
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- Heaping 1/4 tsp. of powdered ginger
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup water
- 1.5 tbsp agave (or sweetener of choice, I’m sure stevia would work)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon, optional
- Combine oats, almond milk, and ginger together. Let sit overnight in the fridge.
- Combine cashews with enough water to cover and let soak in the fridge for a couple of hours (I just did overnight as well to make it easy)
- When you’re ready to eat: Drain cashews. Throw them in a blender with water, sweetener, and lemon juice. Blend until whipped. This can also be done in a food processor, just make sure you scrape the sides and get everything well whipped or it will be chunky (ew!)
- Top oats with blueberries, cream (I used a little less than half), and zest. Yum Yum! I ate these cold, but I’m sure you could heat up the oats and berries before adding the cream if you need a warm breakfast.
I had originally thought to make these with a lemon glaze made of lemon juice and powdered sugar (like in the recipe from Oh She Glows) and then I realized I didn’t want to eat (or encourage you to eat) processed sugar first thing in the morning. I decided on a lemon cream to give the same light lemony flavor with the added bonus of protein and healthy fats, it’s really no different than eating nut butter with your oats – do not fear the fat!
Well, I have been up since 4:45am with a 4 hour solo drive home on top of that so I’m wiped…I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend, I’m off to lay on the couch like the zombie I am. See you tomorrow!