Well wouldn’t you know it, a recipe has made its way onto the blog! I actually made this recipe for Vegan Mofo but never ended up posting it. Better late than never, am I right?
Stir-fries are one of my favorite meals to make. They are as versatile as they are easy…chop veggies, fry veggies, and go! This recipe uses my standard stir-fry veggie combo, but of course feel free to use whatever you like or have in your fridge (it’s an excellent way to use up veggies that are on their last leg).
What sets this recipe apart from my usual, is the addition of pineapple and coconut flavors. The citrus marinade along with the toasted cashews, gives it a deeper and more fun flavor than the traditional stir-fry sauce.
Pineapple Tofu Stir-Fry
- 1/2 crown of broccoli, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (I used red+green), sliced thin
- 1/2 Onion (I used red+white), sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1/2 container of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/4 cup cashews
- For the marinade: pineapple juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame seeds
- Coconut oil for cooking (or EVOO)
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
- Start by pressing the tofu (how-to in this post). Once pressed, whisk together marinade and let tofu soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Prep all veggies (the key is to make them as close to the same size as possible for even cooking time). Boil the broccoli until tender (alternately, you could microwave with a bit of water).
- Melt coconut oil in a hot sauté pan. Cook all veggies together until desired doneness is reached (I like to cook mine a bit more than you would find in traditional stir-fries). Add broccoli back in.
- Push veggies to the side and cook tofu until browned, pouring marinade over the entire mixture.
- Once mixture is cooked, stir together and remove. Throw chopped cashew into the pan and brown. Serve over brown rice and top with cashews.
Talk about a tasty way to get some veggies into your life! You can always use tempeh, beans, or some other “protein” in place of the tofu, just remember to adjust your cooking time accordingly.