A few weeks ago I posted a recipe and how-to for one of my favorite breakfasts: the protein pancake. I’ve been trying forever to create a comparable vegan version but no matter what I used – tofu, chia, flax – it always ended up a hot mess. I started this blog to share vegan recipes and wanted to be able to bring you an eggless version of this favorite. Not only to show you that vegan foods can be just as good, but because I go through phases where eggs gross me out and I’m that phase right now (seriously, aren’t they the nastiest little food?).
I finally decided to ditch the basic template (protein powder+banana+gel substance) and create something with a little more oomph. This protein waffle isn’t “low carb” like protein pancakes made with eggs are, but it is full of whole grains and plant-based protein and delicious nonetheless. This version actually clocked in at over 20g of protein, without harming a single animal!
Vegan Protein Waffle
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 scoop brown rice protein powder (I prefer Perfect Fit from Tone It Up)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt (plus additions like cinnamon or vanilla if you so desire)
- 1/2 cup almond milk, plus more as needed
- Mix dry ingredients together and then add milk, blending well. You can you more than 1/2 cup almond milk if you need to create a smoother consistency.
- Heat your waffle iron and cook as usual. I haven’t made a pancake with this recipe yet, but I’m sure you could get 2 small out of this amount of batter.
- Add toppings of choice. For this round I used PB2 sauce and berries.
I promise you can easily get enough high quality protein on a vegan diet. If you can get 20g from a waffle just imagine what happens when you include greens, veggies, beans and nuts into your diet as well!
For another high protein vegan breakfast, check out the Chocolate Cherry Protein Soft Serve I posted last week. I told you I was going to be posting more recipes this summer…I still have a bunch of delicious treats up my sleeve!