If there one thing busy vegans can appreciate, it’s the beauty of a nutritious, make-ahead meal. I love taking time on Sunday to prep out a few meals for the week – usually lunches or snacks for work and school.
One of the most basic and easy vegan recipes to make ahead is the tofu scramble. It’s endlessly customizable and makes a great breakfast, lunch or dinner! Below is the recipe I recently created but feel free to use whatever veggies and spices you love and have on hand. No need in making things too complicated, this is a true throw-n-go meal.
Veggie & Sweet Potato Tofu Scramble
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 block tofu
- seasonings of choice: cumin, garlic, paprika, chili powder, nutritional yeast, salt & pepper
- Dice and roast sweet potatoes in 400 degree oven for around 30 minutes (until cooked).
- Prep veggies. Sauté until soft in a medium-high skillet.
- Crumble tofu into veggie mix. Add seasonings and combine well + heat through.
- Stir in sweet potato and serve.
This made 4 large or 5 medium servings. I ate it for breakfast with a piece of toast, for lunch over some greens and for dinner with brown rice. It’s a very versatile make-ahead meal!
Speaking of make-ahead meals, here is what I have prepped for this week:
- Fresh Almond Milk – 1 cup soaked almonds, 4 cups water, 4 dates, 1/2 vanilla bean. Blend and strain.
- Almond pulp crackers – recipe from Girl on Raw newsletter. I made them garlic-basil-nooch flavor. They’re still in the dehydrator so the jury is out on how they taste.
- Jicama Apple Slaw from Healthy.Happy.Life. – I subbed tahini for the vegan mayo because that’s what I have on hand. Going to serve for lunches in pita pockets with spicy hummus and veggies on the side.
- Carrot Spice Muffins from Happy Herbivore’s first cookbook. Whole wheat, no fat, vegan and made with a veggie!! For snacking or as a part of breakfast.
- Sinless Samoas from Eating Bird Food. I used 1 cup almond meal instead of the almond butter in order to give the recipe more protein and increase the amount. Though these are technically desserts I’m calling them a morning snack!
- Fresh fruit and veggies. Grapes, apples, carrot, cucumber. Washed and ready to snack on.